Tuesday, October 20, 2009

a graphic god

I love looking at thing, especially things on the internet. Once and a while I wander across something truly awsome. I found Olly Moss through threadless.com while shopping for t-shirts and was blown away by the simplistic beauty of his work. To focus on one piece in particular I would like to show this one.

www.ollymoss.com

Nothing but a simple little, well simple in style, doodle. I thing its really that simplicity that appeals to me. That and a sort of dated retro quality about all his work. Besides the fact that this is not only an on point social commentary on fashion, it is a work of clean balance. The half and half of black and blue is highlighted with the touches of white. The open space of the black is broken by the white text while the black and white of the simple shapes tie into the top half giving it a sense of balance. Clean lines and simple sans-serif text provide unity throughout the work and the block of the blue functions as the general focal point having most of the "action" happening there. I am a stickler for clean design, probably because I can not do it to save my own life and therefore makes me hugely envious of those that can. Olly Moss works for a multitude of different outlets including the aforementioned clothing shops, and many different types of print and e-media. What really inspires me is his drive. He just seems to constantly create, having seemingly grasped at least the craft and form aspects of the design process. Its and inspiration and should be something we strive for as a people, the creation of beautiful things through good design. And going out on that note, follow the artists advice,
 
www.ollymoss.com

Check it out! 


Well, well worth the visit.

PS Please don't sue me I love you! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment